Saturday, August 15, 2015

Reasons You Shouldn't Get Married.

Its another Saturday and someone somewhere is wearing a white gown/a tuxedo, smiling and excited with people around singing her/his praises. She/he laughs gleefully like a child on Christmas morning, she/he looks at the mirror and cannot recognize her/his own reflection. She/he stares admiringly at her/himself but totally clueless about the major step she/he is about to take. Yes! she/he's getting Married.

The blissful union of two souls as one, which has become a place of lamentation for some. Because of choice of partner and reasons for getting married. Do you wonder why some people have to endure marriage instead of enjoying it? Why divorce is on the increase? I've seen couples split in less than a year of getting married and the 'why' questions become the new mystery. But there's no denying that people are getting married for all the wrong reasons except what it was truly made for. So, here are some of the wrong reasons why you shouldn't get married.

1) Pregnancy: Getting pregnant for a man has become ladies way of proposing and a way to also get trapped and be trapped. Of course, they'll convince themselves it's for the love they have for each other but truth is; they may never know if they would have gotten married if there wasn't a baby to make legitimate.

2) Societal Pressure: The definition of responsibility and the level of respect accorded to an individual in today's society is largely based on one's marital status. As a result we now have ladies who can barely even bathe themselves properly getting married because according to "society's time" they have come of age or How else do you explain a 21year-old lady wearing a double ring being addressed 'ma' and a 31 year-old as 'oh girl.' I remember an incident whereby a lady wore a bum short to the hospital to see a friend and the nurse was addressing her look with scorn until she noticed she's wearing a wedding ring and she just scoffed and walked away. I tried to imagine the wash down if it had been a single lady Ughrrrr......

3) Physical Appearance: One thing with the Knight in shinning armour, fairy god mothers, fairy tales princes and Princesses is that; they're only in fairy/dream world. So, there's need to wake up to the real world and look beyond the physical appearance before making a choice to say 'I do.'

4) Wealth: Today; both men and women have become gold diggers. Abandoning each other for a more financially balance prospective bride or groom. But don't forget "Money cannot buy happiness" no matter how twisted today generation may think, the truth will always surpass the fact.

5) Fear: This has ruined so many ladies, especially when the 20's is getting late. You've got to marry the next man that blinks at you, because of the dreaded 30 and still single. As such, you don't get to be everyone's prayer point.

6) Family Expectation: Sometimes, the family plays a major role in whom an individual marries. You truly wish to spend your life with some other person but he/she happens not to be the choice of your family and your love for them which is too great to ignore makes you convince yourself that their choice is yours. Also, there are times the family can be right in their choice because they say 'what an elder sees sitting down, cannot be seen by the child who's on top of an iroko tree." Now! I'm not trying to contradict this point but you should know when you make a choice it becomes easier to fight and protect that which you've chosen.

7) Friends: That 'my friends are getting married, so I should get married' syndrome is the reason some people found themselves in the terrible situation they're in..............endless it may be but I rest my fingers here.

In all of it marriage is a blissful union when we prayerfully chose to get into it. Don't keep God aside. Please if you do atleast agree with me with most of the point do share the post on other social network. Let's save the coming marriages from divorce and heartache by letting them marry for the right reasons which I will post, hopefully, tomorrow.

Do remember "life is worth living and people worth loving." Cheers! 

3 comments:

  1. I just my Ex could see this. She's caught up in virtually all of these mentioned above and it's really annoying. I know she's right to want to get married coz she's of age, but it hurts that she doesn't believe in me to be eligible in a couple of years. This marriage and society are contradicting each other and it's doing more harm than good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am only 23yrs of age and my colleagues have started asking me when I am gonna get married. Hian oh!!!
    Though I lied to then that am 28yr and they keep hailing me for looking younger than 20yrs.. I luv increasing my age, I guess the reverse will b the case when I get older.Lol

    ReplyDelete