Saturday, February 13, 2016

A Man Spent 40 Years Using 100,000 Tooth Picks to Create this.

I haven't seen this until some moment ago and it got me completely breathless. Of course, I thought to share incase some one is still yet to see it. It took Scott Weaver 40 years to create what you're looking at (Photo) with 100,000 toothpicks describing San Francisco in art. It is called  exploritorium. Unveiled May 31, 2011.  And some of us will abandon our dreams after facing few criticism or difficulties. *Deep Sigh....* Read what he said after the cut and to see more incredible photos.


"My family lived in San Francisco for 3 generations. My great-grandfather had a winery in the 1880's at Montgomery and Jackson St, about a block from where the Transamerica pyramid is located. My grandparents had a house at 518 12th Ave, between Anza and Balboa. My mom and dad had a house on Quintera, then moved to Marin, where I was born.

I started building toothpick sculptures in 1968, when I was 8 years old. My early structures were abstract and about 2 - 4 feet tall. I built one sculpture that had a ping-pong ball roll through it. In 1974 I started a new sculpture and added the Golden Gate Bridge and Lombard Street, that also had
a ping-pong ball roll through it. This is what started what is now Rolling Through the Bay.

Over the years I have worked on Rolling Through the Bay, on-and-off, sometimes not working on it for years at-a-time, to do other projects and get married to my beautiful wife, Rochelle, and have a wonderful son, Tyler.

I love working with toothpicks and hope to do so for years to come."
     The only glue Weaver uses is Elmer's.


"The heart inside the Palace of Fine Arts is made out of toothpicks people threw at our wedding."

On some of the tours, the ping pong balls roll past Chinatown, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Painted Ladies (a.k.a. the "Full House" homes) and the World Series trophy.
And on others, they travel through the (rainbow colored) toothpicks of The Castro, down Lombard Street and end up at Fisherman's Wharf.
The toothpick Golden Gate Bridge.
Each landmark is jaw-droppingly detailed and some even commemorate memorable moments in Weaver's own life like the birth of his son.
Rolling Through the Bay will be on display at the Tinkering Studio until May 31, 2011.
Source:   here.

No comments:

Post a Comment